Thursday, July 11, 2013

I wish I had more money...

Well as you can see from the title we've been doing lots of activities here and needless to say money is going fast. I'm not complaining because I knew going into this trip that I'd have to be paying for all of my food and such but it's hard to cook with a kitchen used by 30 or more people. I haven't been spending my money on much besides food, drinks, and of course a few souvenirs! But let me back up to after samba night...

After Samba night, the next day was a trip to a arts and crafts, shopping, antiques area in the city. Its this huge rectangular area filled with tents that people are selling their hand made crafts, food, antiques etc. I was so overwhelmed when I first arrived because I was finding so many things I wanted to buy! The antiques were pretty cool but what I really wanted were the hand crafted objects. I found some great gifts for some family and did my best to understand the prices when told by the owners. Everyone was friendly and willing to help me which is such a good atmosphere to be in! At the end of our time there we bought some fried food that I can't remember the name of but was very delicious none the less! One problem I do have with Brazil is you have to pay for water every where you go. They will give you bottled water and it always costs money. I've since started to drink the tap water here and there which has given me no issue thus far but definitely tastes a little gross. But hey, free is free!

After the day at the market we then had Sunday which was a football game! The couple that owns the hostel organized a trip for us to attend a local game here is Sao Paulo! The tickets were a little pricier than we all wanted but "When in Rome!" was our philosophy! We had some vans pick us up and take us to the game as a group and we were told we'd be sitting with the Sao Paulo team so wear red and white. The team they were against were the Santos which has the same colors but more black on their jerseys. The way the seats worked is you buy your tickets for a certain section then sit in any seats in that section. Very different then american games for sure! It was a fun time trying to pick up on their cheers and screaming for a team I knew nothing about and a great experience all around! One interesting rule here in Brazil is no alcohol is allowed to be sold in the stadium. They worry it will lead to too many fights and more problems between the fans! In my opinion this isn't a bad idea for the US to take on!






Well it's time for me to get ready for class! I'll blog again soon and please update me on all your lives :)

1 comment:

  1. Definitely loved the chanting that the soccer fans were doing

    ReplyDelete